By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire evacuates post school
Placeholder Image

Diamond Elementary on Fort Stewart was evacuated at around 11:20 a.m. Thursday morning after a small fire broke out. No injuries were reported.
“The Diamond Elementary School fire-suppression system extinguished a small fire started by a leaking gas pipe here this morning,” Fort Stewart spokesman Kevin Larson said. “The gas leaked into an electrical panel and ignited. Minor damages are being repaired.”
Although lunches and classes were disrupted, students and staff were allowed to return to their normal schedules after about an hour.
Larson said the fire started in a maintenance closet/service room area and quickly was extinguished when the fire-suppression system kicked on after the spark ignited.
“There’s very minimal damage,” Larson said.
Diamond Elementary will be open today for normal operations.

Sign up for our e-newsletters