By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire takes home from family of six
walthourville fire pic
Responding units came from Walthourville Volunteer, Hinesville and Gum Branch Fire departments. - photo by Photo by Lewis Levine


To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

A fire in Walthourville Friday afternoon left a family of six homeless.
According to Liberty County Fire Coordinator, James Ashdown the fire started shortly after 4 p.m. in a doublewide mobile home in the Cedar Hill mobile home park in the 5500 block of West Oglethorpe Highway.
Ashdown said a woman was at home at the time and noticed smoke coming from the rear of the house when she looked out a window. When she stepped outside she saw flames and immediately rushed her children outside.
Walthourville firefighter Shawn Smith said when he arrived heavy smoke and flames were coming from the rear of the home.
"The fire went into the roof of the home and spread quickly," Smith said.
The home, according to Ashdown, is a total loss. He said the family's pet rabbits were killed in the fire.
The family, according to Herman Scott of the Red Cross, will be put up in a hotel till other arrangements can be made.
There were no injuries reported.
The name of the family had not been released by officials.
Units from Walthourville, Hinesville and Gum Bbranch responded to the fire which took nearly 90 minutes to bring under control.
Sign up for our e-newsletters