By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Lightning sparks small fire at eatery
MR club fire corner
Lightning hit the building, sending flames up a corner inside the kitchen. - photo by Photo by Mike Riddle
On Wednesday, a fire caused by lightning broke out in the kitchen at the Clubhouse at Rye Patch and moved outside to a pressurized propane tank.
According to Ludowici/Long County Volunteer Fire Department firefighter Randy Combs, at around 5 p.m. lightning struck the south corner of an exterior support beam in the kitchen, sending flames down the plank into the building. In the kitchen, the fire followed a copper gas line that runs outside and ignited a pressurized propane tank.
 Combs, who was the incident commander at the fire, said L/LCVFD units received the call at 5:09 p.m. and responded to the scene with an engine, two tanker units and 12 firefighters. Restaurant employees had already extinguished the fire inside, but the pressurized tank was still in flames.
Firefighters extinguished the tank fire and disconnected the gas supply line, which runs from the tank into the building, in around 35 minutes. Responders also ventilated the restaurant to remove smoke.
Restaurant owner Tim Works said two female employees who were working in the kitchen were interviewed, checked for injuries and transported by a Long County EMS unit to Liberty Regional Medical Center in Hinesville.
The names of the injured women were not released and a representative from the hospital declined comment.
According to Works, the injuries were minor.
Combs said the Long Prison Fire Unit had been called to assist at the fire, but the request was canceled and the Hinesville Fire Department Station 2 was placed on standby instead. No additional help was needed.
The Long County Sheriff’s Department also responded to the fire.

Sign up for our e-newsletters