By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Three injured in early morning fire (updated)
Teen, her grandmother taken to burn center
The flames leveled most of the home. - photo by Photo by Mike Riddle
LUDOWICI -- Three people were injured in a fire that likely was started by a space heater in a Long County home early Thursday morning.
Glenn Allen, spokesman for Georgia State Fire Commissioner John Oxendine, identified the victims as Lucy DeLoach, her granddaughter Nicole DeLoach, 16, and her nephew Janante Chapman, 13.
Ludowici/Long County Fire Department Chief Darrell Balance said firefighters responded at about 1 a.m. to a mobile home fire at 25 Simons Crossing Road, near its intersection with Highway 84. Upon their arrival, they found the home engulfed in flames and began extinguishing the blaze.
Allen said the woman sustained second and third degree burns to about 20 percent of her body and is currently listed in serious condition in the Augusta Burn Center. Her granddaughter received minor burns and was also treated at the burn center. It was unclear Thursday evening whether the girl was still there.
The boy was cut to his arm while breaking out of the fiery home through a window. He was treated at Liberty Regional Medical Center in Hinesville and released later in the day.
The fire report lists Meacie Baker as the owner of the trailer.
According to Balance, the teenage girl was flown by Life-Star from the scene directly to the Augusta Burn Center. The grandmother was taken to Liberty Regional Medical Center in Hinesville for treatment, but was later also airlifted to the burn center.
Allen said the cause of the fire was under investigation, but his office believes that the fire started in the woman's bedroom where a kerosene space heater was being used.
Temperatures dropped into the low 20s Thursday morning and Allen said there were five other space heaters in use around the mobile home. The others were electric.
Ballance said the fire was extinguished by about 3 a.m., but firefighters did not leave the scene until 4.
Georgia Fire Marshal Office Investigator Don Mealor was called in by LLCFD to assist in investigation.
Sign up for our e-newsletters