By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Riceboro area seems to be in state of shock
Placeholder Image
Family and friends of the two victims and the suspect in a hatchet attack Thursday near Riceboro are apparently not ready to talk.
Francenia James, 75, and her nephew, Abraham Moody, 50, died from the attacks, James at her home and Moody at a Savannah hospital early the next day.
Wallace James, 49, Francenia James’ son and Moody’s cousin, has since been charged with two counts murder. After a somewhat erratic appearance at a magistrate’s hearing Friday afternoon, his case was bound over to superior court.
Repeated attempts to talk with relatives and neighbors about the case Friday afternoon and Saturday morning were unsuccessful.
One person involved did try to console others.
“Our entire department offers our condolences to the family for their suffering,” Sheriff Don Martin said. “Our hearts go out to them and I’m terribly sorry something like this had to happen.”
Martin’s deputies were called to Crossroads community shortly after noon Thursday. According to Chief Deputy Keith Moran, Moody’s mother called to report that her son was being attacked. She reportedly identified Wallace James as the assailant.
As he was responding to the call Deputy Shane Braizer saw James walking along the road and stopped him for questioning.
Authorities say James was cooperative and lead them to the Barrington Ferry Road home he shared with his mother, who they found dead inside.
Authorities have not said if they have determined what sparked the attacks.
Little information came out of the magistrate’s hearing Friday at about 3:30 p.m. James was brought downtown from the Liberty County Regional Jail, shackled and dressed in an orange jail jumpsuit. He appeared before Magistrate Angela Rogers in the courthouse annex.
After a short series of questions pertaining to his ability to provide himself with a defense attorney, and a few muffled and, at times, incoherent answers from James, Rogers said the case was too serious for magistrate jurisdiction and that his case would be handled by a grand jury in superior court in February. Bond was denied.
Upon signing the agreement, James said, “People change.”
At one point, James seemed as if he wanted to explain something, but said only, “I’m just tryin’ to think. I got two brains in my head.”
Sign up for our e-newsletters