By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Woods fire damages building
HFD firefighters work to help contain a fire in the woods near an apartment building on Sunday. Photo by Lewis Levine
On Sunday afternoon, residents of several buildings in the Tattersall Village Apartments just off of 15th Street in Hinesville had to evacuate the apartment buildings as a fast approaching woods fire threatened their homes.

According to Hinesville Fire Department, Capt. Robert Kitchings the fire was reported around 3:30 p.m., consuming several acres of woods adjacent to the apartment complex. Kitchings said when units from the Hinesville Fire Department Station 2 arrived to the location on Airport Road, a sizable amount of woods had already been burned. 

Kitchings said the fire did damage the rear of one building. Building 1000 sustained damage as the flames reached the structure. 

Resident Brian Denton, Jr. was taking an afternoon nap and woke up to the smell of smoke and people yelling, when he looked outside he observed ashes flying towards his apartment. Denton immediately grabbed his family and left the residence where he encountered police officers from the Hinesville Police Department along with firefighters asking the residents to leave. 

Three windows in Denton’s apartment were broken and the screens were damaged as the flames began to reach the building. Overhead waves were melted in the fire.

Kitchings said the HPD did a remarkable job evacuating the building for fear the structures were in danger due to the proximity of the woods from the homes.

HFD Station 1,  located in the downtown area, was also called in to make sure the fire did not break the perimeter. Several vehicles escaped damage as firefighters kept the flames from reaching a nearby parking lot.

According to Kitchings, Georgia Forestry was called to help contain the fire by making fire breaks using heavy equipment. The fire was contained and extinguished within two hours and the residents were allowed to return to their homes. 

Sign up for our e-newsletters