By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Wrecks dampen holidays
Updates from wrecks during Christmas week
two dead

A series of accidents causing injuries, damages, and fatalities dampened Christmas week.

Bradwell Institute student Ayesha Davis, 17, was identified as the pedestrian who was struck and killed, on Dec. 22, as she attempted to cross a busy roadway. Liberty County Coroner, Reginald Pierce identified Davis as the victim.

According to Hinesville Police Department Traffic Accident Investigator, Cpl. Michael Ramirez, Davis was struck by a black Hyundai driven by a 56 year old man while attempting to cross the roadway near McDowell St. shortly before 6 p.m.

Davis was transported by ambulance to Liberty Regional Medical Center in Hinesville where according to Hinesville Police Chief, Bill Kirkendall she was later pronounced deceased.

The family is seeking donations to help them cover funeral expenses. Donations can be sent to from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. at:

The Dorchester Funeral Home

7842 East Oglethorpe Highway

Midway, Ga, 31320

Or call: 912 884-2431

Officer Ramirez said the accident remains under investigation.

Another incident happened the following day.

According to Hinesville Police Traffic Accident Investigator, Aaron Brandt, a woman was transported to Liberty Regional Medical Center after her 15 year old daughter drove into the Exxon Handyland gas station on 2570 Highway 196 in Hinesville Dec. 23.

The teen was driving on a learner’s permit and was pulling into the parking lot from Highway 196 when she hit the gas pedal thinking she was hitting the brakes.  

The impact caused portions of the wall to buckle and caused interior damage to the building. Several cases or beer flew off the shelves inside a refrigeration unit.  

The accident occurred shortly before 5 p.m. and is under investigation.

Later in the evening of Dec. 23, around 6 p.m., two people were killed following a two car accident on East Oglethorpe Highway not far from Bill Carter Road. Georgia State Patrol Trooper, Markus White said there were four people traveling in a Chevy Trailblazer, two adults an 11-year-old and a four-year-old child.

White said two adults, a man and a woman, were traveling in a Jeep Cherokee. White said it appears the driver of the Chevy Trailblazer made a left turn into the path of the Cherokee which was traveling westbound towards Hinesville. The Trooper said the occupants of both vehicles were all from Midway. 

White said of the four people in the Trailblazer, one adult, named Rebecca Dixon and 11-year-old Olivia Jordan were pronounced dead on scene as confirmed by Liberty County Coroner Reginald Pierce.

The driver, four-year-old and the occupants of the Cherokee were transported to Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah.

According to White the driver of the Trailblazer is in the intensive care unit. The driver of the Jeep is still hospitalized while the passenger was treated and released.

Portions of the westbound lane of East Oglethorpe Highway was closed for several hours while members of the Georgia State Patrol Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team (SCRT) conducted an investigation.

Liberty County Fire Services, the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office, two emergency medical vehicles from Bryan County and Midway police were on hand to assist.

A two car accident on Islands Highway near Beulah Road in East Liberty County sent four people to the hospital Dec. 26.  The accident occurred at 6:30 p.m.

According to Liberty County Fire services Chief, Brian Darby, firefighters found two vehicles which had collided at the intersection of Islands Highway and Beulah Road.  

Darby said a 12 year old child had been ejected when the vehicles collided tossing him roughly 25 feet onto a nearby lawn. Darby said the child sustained injuries to his shoulder and was transported via Life Star helicopter to Memorial Health University Medical Center.

The vehicle the child was ejected from, was driven by his 23 year old sister as well as their grandmother. The other vehicle contained a single occupant who was returning home from work at the Target distribution center in Tradeport East.

Georgia State Patrol Trooper, Marvin Frazier said the accident occurred when the woman made an initial stop at a stop sign on Beulah Road but strolled out and failed to yield to the oncoming vehicle heading eastbound. 

The impact caused the vehicle to spin around ejecting the child, who was wearing a seat belt, from the rear window.

The three other people were transported by ambulance.


The accident is under investigation by the Georgia State Patrol.


Sign up for our e-newsletters
3rd ID, Army, allies mourn four soldiers lost in accident
Farewell ceremony set for Thursday morning in Lithuanian capital
four soldiers

The four U.S. Army soldiers assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania have been identified.  

The Army has confirmed the four soldiers who died when their vehicle sank into a bog as Staff Sgt. Edvin Franco, 25, Staff Sgt. Jose Duenez, 25, PFC Dante Taitano, 21, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson-Collins, 28.

"First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” said Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa. “I can't say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies - and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers - have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.” 

The four soldiers, who were the crew of a M88A2 armored recovery vehicle, went missing in the early morning hours of March 25. Their vehicle eventually was found March 26 but it was beneath approximately 14 feet of water and sunk into more than six feet of mud.

Crews worked to drain the area around the vehicle to make it stable for heavy equipment needed to pull out the M88. U.S. Navy divers were flown in and attached cables to hoist points so the submerged vehicle could be lifted out of the bog.

"This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd ID commanding general. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.” 

Knutson-Collins, Duenez Jr., and Franco were all posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant.

Knutson-Collins was an artillery mechanic with over seven years in the Army. He arrived at Fort Stewart in February 2018 and was assigned to 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion.

Knutson-Collins graduated from the Army Basic Leader Course, the Advanced Leaders Course, the Tracked Vehicle Recovery Operations course, and the Combat Lifesaver course. He deployed to Korea in 2020.

His awards and decorations include the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Master Technician Badge.

“Words cannot express how deeply this loss is felt by everyone in our unit,” said Capt. Jackson Patillo, commander, Foxtrot Company, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion. “Staff Sgt. Troy Collins was an exceptional friend to all of us and an irreplaceable member to our entire Fox family that we will truly miss.”

“The pain we feel from this loss is insurmountable,” said Lt. Col. Erick Buckner, 1/41 Field Artillery Battalion commander. “Staff Sgt. Knutson-Collins was well loved throughout our unit and a brother to all. He was an expert, an incredibly talented mechanic and a warrior. We will never forget his dedication to his unit, his family and his country.”

“We are incredibly relieved that we were able to bring this recovery to an end and bring closure to all the families, friends and teammates of our soldiers,” said Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commanding general of the 1st Armored Division, who also grew up on Fort Stewart. “We cannot thank our Allies and fellow service members enough, especially the Lithuanians, who spared no resource in support of this mission. Together, we delivered on our promise to never leave a fallen comrade.” 

Throughout the seven-day recovery effort, the combined and joint team worked day and night to find the soldiers. 

“As the fourth and final soldier has been recovered from this tragic accident, we will continue to mourn their loss as we work to quickly return our Dog Face Soldiers home to their families,” said Lt. Gen. Charles Costanza, commanding general of V Corps and former Fort Stewart and 3rd ID commanding general. “It has been truly amazing and very humbling to watch the incredible recovery team from different commands, countries and continents come together and give everything to recover our Soldiers. Thank you, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers. We are forever grateful.” 

All four soldiers were deployed to Lithuania in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve to provide credible ground deterrence alongside Allies and partners, and were permanently stationed at Fort Stewart. 

“I'm immensely proud of our entire team. They have been relentless in their efforts to search and recover our soldiers and get every capability and asset necessary to enable this effort,” Gen. Donahue said. 

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth also posted on X his sorrow at the loss of the four soldiers.

“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” he wrote. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families.”

A farewell ceremony for the soldiers will be held Thursday morning in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital.

“Every soldier is also a Lithuanian soldier, and their families’ pain is our pain,” said a statement from the Lithuanian Ministry of Defense.

The U.S. Army is investigating the cause of the accident. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. 

"We continue to stand by the families and loved ones through this incredibly difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Norrie. “Now, it’s time to bring them home.” 

 

Latest Obituaries