By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
4th-quarter rally cant help Canes avoid loss
Savannah Warriors overpower Hinesville for 26-22 victory
Two Hurricanes and a Warrior battle for the ball during last Saturday's game at Long Bell stadium. Despite going ahead in the fourth quarter the 'Canes lost by four points. - photo by By Patty Leon / Coastal Courier
A rally in the fourth quarter couldn’t help the Hinesville Hurricanes, who found themselves four points short of a tie or win against the Savannah Warriors Saturday.
Cedric Lovejoy set the pace, helping the Hurricanes’ field position after the kick return. The first play ended in a fumble but was recovered by the 'Canes. Power running backs Joseph Matavao and Travis Drayton plowed through the Warriors and started moving the ball.
Unable to score, the ball was turned over on downs and the Warriors’ offense hit the field. The Warriors’ quarterback scrambled out of the pocket on the first snap but was sacked by James Gibbons. The Warriors turned the game around, connecting on two passes to clinch their first touchdown and take the lead, 6-0.
Drayton ran back another good return and the 'Canes offense placed the ball in the hands of Matavao and Lovejoy, getting inside the five- yard line. At the start of the second quarter, the 'Canes tried to break through the center but were stopped.  
The 'Canes caught a break when the Warriors were called for two back-to-back penalties and Gibbons sacked the Warrior’s quarterback for another loss. However, the 'Canes were called for pass interference on the next play, giving the Warriors the ball passed midfield. During the next play, they took it to the goal line, making the score 12-0 after missing the PAT.
The Hurricanes alternated quarterbacks between Frank Troup and Quincy Thomas. Troup showed his scrambling abilities and despite being chased by two defenders he completed a pass to Lovejoy for a huge gain. Troup then connected with Trevor Boothe for a 'Canes touchdown.
Looking to move ahead the Warriors moved the ball inside the five but fumbled. The 'Canes recovered in the end zone for the touchback.
The Warriors drew a personal foul when they started fighting among themselves, giving the Canes the ball at the 35-yard line. Troup tried to connect with Drayton for a quick touchdown, but the pass was incomplete. On the next attempt Troup was sacked, ending the half.
The Warriors scored in the opening drive of the third quarter and they led 18-6.
Facing a 12-point deficit to start the fourth quarter, Lovejoy took the kick return all the way down to the 15-yard line. Matavao plugged the gap in the center and barreled into the end zone. The 'Canes PAT was good for 2 and they trailed 18-14.
Gibbons picked up another sack and Drayton blocked the Warriors' punt.
Lovejoy eventually crossed the goal line and the 'Canes took the lead 22-18 after successfully getting the PAT.
But there was still two minutes left on the clock and the Warriors pulled together for the fight. They completed a pass inside the 25-yard line. Working the clock the Warriors drove the ball downfield and scored. They made the PAT and led 26-22. The ’Canes last attempt ended in an interception, letting the Warriors run the clock down and take the victory.
The Hurricanes travel to Augusta tomorrow to face the Cobras. Kick off is set for 7 p.m.
Sign up for our e-newsletters