By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
BI teams tie, beat Coffee County
TigerLibertySoccer 004
The Lady Tigers took a 3-2 win in the non-region contest. - photo by Patty Leon

The Bradwell Institute soccer teams got a tie and win last Friday at Coffee
The Tigers drew, 2-2, while the Lady Tigers took a 3-2 win in the non-region contests.
Bradwell plays Friday at South Effingham to start Region 3-AAAAA action. The girls kick off at 5 p.m., and the boys’ game will follow.

Malaetele Ilaoa scored two goals for BI, while Cassandra Ruff added a goal.
Lady Tiger coach Scott Akin said his team played great despite harsh and frigid conditions.
“As always, they do not play with an ounce of quit in them,” the coach said. “I am as proud of them as I always am.”
The Lady Tigers hold a 3-1 record.

Bradwell coach Tom Oglesby said his team started off a bit slow, not able to find their rhythm on the ball. The Trojans scored off a penalty in the 10th minute of the matchup, and Oglesby said that in the past, his players would let that get the best of them.
“But not this time,” he said. “The boys really responded well, and they increased their quality of play.”
The coach said his team controlled the game tempo for the rest of the first half, but couldn’t knock the ball into the net.
“At halftime, I told the boys that Coffee County isn’t beating them, but we’re beating ourselves,” he said. “I challenged them to score a goal in the first five minutes of the second half, and four minutes into the second half, Darius Smith was able to find the back of the net with a strong shot from outside the 18-yard box.”
The coach said a few minutes later, Xxavier Clyde got behind the Trojans’ back line and beat the goal keeper to put the Tigers up, 2-1.
“After the second goal, we began to sit back and play defense,” the coach said, adding that he urged his players to maintain the attack.
The coach said there was a sudden shift in the momentum and within 10 minutes, the Trojans kicked one in to tie the game, 2-2.
Sensing the urgency, the Tigers stepped up their attack.
“We had several chances to score, but we couldn’t get a shot on frame,” Oglesby said.
After regulation, the boys went into overtime, but the game remained tied for the end.

Sign up for our e-newsletters