JACKSONVILLE — The Jacksonville Jaguars on Wednesday announced the team has agreed to terms with the city of Jacksonville to undertake approximately $63 million in enhancements to EverBank Field, including two new end zone video scoreboards that will be the largest of their kind in the world.
The plan also calls for a major renovation of the north end zone to introduce an entertainment and viewing area for fans to help attract premier events to Jacksonville.
The Jaguars first unveiled the goal of new scoreboards and EverBank Field renovations during a state-of-the-franchise address Feb. 5. The team worked with Jacksonville Mayor Alvin Brown and the Jacksonville City Council to explore and agree on funding sources and models.
“Our determination to see this concept brought to reality was matched by Mayor Brown, and his impressive work on this project is why we’re able to move so quickly,” Jaguars owner Shahid Khan said.
Highlights of the agreement include:
• New video scoreboards in each end zone, each measuring 55-feet-by-301-feet.
• Major enhancements to EverBank Field’s video capabilities.
• New LED fascia board displays
• A new scoreboard control room equipped with state-of-the-art software.
• A new platform area in the north end zone with pools, food and beverage offerings, interactive activities and more.
Construction of the platform will result in the removal of approximately 7,000 seats, though temporary seating can be installed for events that require larger capacity.
Team president Mark Lamping noted the importance of up-to-date stadium technology in supporting the Florida-Georgia college football game, enhancing the Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl and attracting soccer matches and similar major events to Jacksonville and the surrounding region.
The proposed funding and operations considerations include:
• The city of Jacksonville will fund the total estimated $36.4 million from capital-project funding to build the fan-engagement area as well as the necessary infrastructure and control room to support the video scoreboards at both ends of the stadium.
• The Jaguars will fund 75 percent of the estimated $26.5 million for the new video scoreboards, with the city funding the remaining 25 percent.
• The Jaguars will serve as construction manager and be responsible for cost overruns.