By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
LCHS loses first game of season
Field goal in fourth seals Terrors victory in Brunswick
Panther defender Shakur Cook scoops up a fumble and returns it for a 55-yard touchdown in Saturday’s 24-21 loss at Glynn Academy. The Red Terrors earned their first win and the Panthers suffered their first loss. - photo by Phgoto by Patty Leon

JV Panthers take down Red Terrors

The LCHS junior varsity Panthers on Thursday defeated the Glynn Academy Red Terrors, 12-7. According to JV coach Ryan Glazer, the Panthers’ special team scored a touchdown when the Red Terrors were forced to punt and the long snap missed the target. JV Panther Anthony Sanchez recovered the ball in the end zone.

The Red Terrors got on the board in the second quarter. They were forced to punt and Panther Cory Lazenby had a solid return to the Red Terrors 28-yard line. However, the referees called the play back for roughing the kicker, setting up the Red Terrors touchdown drive and PAT to go up 7-6.

Glazer said the third quarter was scoreless and as the fourth got started, the Panther defense turned up the intensity.

Trevon Walthour and Taishon Walls had two separate sacks on third downs, forcing the Red Terrors to punt.

Late in the fourth, Panther running back Sam Carter scored on a two-yard carry. Defensively, linebacker Bucky McCray stopped a Red Terror drive by intercepting a pass.

"The offense is improving and gaining more confidence," Glazer said. "Sam Carter and D.J. Bratcher ran the ball well."

The JV panthers are currently 2-1

Saturday’s football game between the Liberty County Panthers and the Glynn Academy Red Terrors came down to the fourth quarter and a field goal. In the end, the Red Terrors earned their first win of the season and the Panthers suffered their first loss.

The matchup in Brunswick ended 24-21.

The Red Terrors kept their running game alive by implementing the wildcat offense throughout the game. They mounted a drive on their first possession before Panther defender Tucory Rhodes introduced himself to the Terrors’ quarterback with a 19-yard sack. Despite the setback, the Red Terrors scored their first touchdown two plays later on an eight-yard run.

During the Panthers’ first offensive possession, two incomplete passes, a tackle for a loss and a false start forced the Panthers to punt.

After three quick downs and punts by both teams, the Panthers’ offense started a drive at their own one-yard line. Shadrach Thornton carried the ball, but was hit at the 15 and fumbled. The Red Terrors recovered and set up a wildcat play with a direct snap to Trent Murray.

Rhodes made another big stop at the one-yard line, but Murray carried the ball into the end zone on the next play, going up 14-0.

The Panthers got into scoring position after Glynn kicked the ball out of bounds and were drawn offside by Panther quarterback Julian Stokes. With the ball at the 40-yard line, Stokes and Thornton established the run enough for Thornton to cross the goal line on a 21-yard touchdown carry. Eddie Chipple’s kick made it a 14-7 game.

In the second quarter, the Terrors mounted another drive and were at midfield when Rhodes hit the ball carrier, forcing the fumble. Shakur Cook picked up the ball and ran it back 55 yards for a Panther TD to tie the game.

Working off momentum, the Panthers' onside kick was covered by Rhodes, which set up a three-play drive, all by Stokes. The quarterback carried the ball into the end zone expanding the Panthers’ lead by a touchdown.

On the kickoff, Chipple drove the kick downfield, but a Red Terror returned the ball for 33 yards. Chipple dove for the touchdown-saving tackle. Looking to tie the score, the Glynn squad mounted another drive, but were stopped twice at the one–yard line on the third and fourth downs to close the half with the Panthers leading 21-14.

Both squads struggled offensively in the third quarter, drawing flags from the referees. The Panther defense stripped the ball from a Red Terror player. It was recovered by Rhodes. However, three penalties eventually forced the Panthers to punt.

In the fourth quarter, a punt by Chipple was blocked and recovered by Glynn inside the 27–yard line. This set up a Red Terrors drive for another TD to tie the game at 21.

The Panthers prepared for their drive, but a false start, a fumble recovered by the offense and a strong stand by the Red Terrors defense forced the punt.

The Red Terrors almost returned the kick for a touchdown, but Panther Thomas Penny made the tackle at the 10-yard line. Glynn drew a penalty and Demetrick Mothershed hit the ball handler for a loss.

Glynn faced third down and 17, but completed a 10-yard pass to set up the game winning field goal.

Panther Byron Johnson returned the kick for 39 yards, but an illegal block in the back negated the return.

The Panthers’ last attempt to mount a drive was plagued with four penalties and a questionable call for ineligible receiver downfield.

The Panther offense ended with 34 runs for 186 yards.

Rhodes led the Panthers defense with seven solo tackles, two assists, a sack, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble. Penny and Marcus Jefferson had six solo tackles. Aaron Bennett and Artavious Frost had five solo tackles.

Panther coach Kirk Warner said there is no reason to dwell on questionable calls as he focuses his attention on correcting the mental errors and preparing for Friday’s region opener at home against Washington County.

Washington County currently holds a 4-0 record, and last year the Panthers were shout out 42-0 at the Golden Hawks’ home field.

See Friday’s Coastal Courier for a pre-game analysis of the matchup.

Sign up for our e-newsletters