By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Tide soccer boys blanked in home opener
0206 Blue Tide logo

LUDOWICI -- The Long County Blue Tide boys’ soccer team hosted the Glynn Academy Red Terrors in their first home game of the season. The team knew that they had a tough matchup and couldn’t get past their size and speed as they fell 5-0.

The Red Terrors were immediately aggressive out the gate, keeping control of the ball for much of the first ten minutes. Sophomore goalkeeper Kamdyn Milliken made three saves, including a diving stop in the sixth minute.

Glynn Academy’s aggressiveness finally paid off for them in the 10th minute as Allan Lovein’s shot off a corner kick sneaked past Milliken for the 1-0 lead.

Long County finally got a little momentum on their side as they got off their first shot after the Red Terrors attempted five in the first 10 minutes.

The Tide outshot the Red Terrors 4-1 over the next six minutes but could not get one in the net. Senior Chris Ortega’s was the closest as it just missed hitting the bottom of the crossbar and rebounded behind the goal.

The Red Terrors extended their lead with a goal from John Barbee in the 16th minute to go up 2-0.

There was not another shot on goal until the 30th minute, when Tide senior Orlando Tellez set up for a penalty kick after a Red Terror handball inside the box.

Tellez’s shot was telegraphed, but expertly read by the Terror goalkeeper as the Tide remained scoreless going into the half.

Glynn Academy outshot the Tide 10-7 in the first half, but the Tide had the 7-5 advantage in the final 24 minutes of the half.

With the raining coming down harder and wind whipping, the Red Terrors used the wet field to their advantage. They used their speed to move quickly to start the second half and scoring off a corner kick in the 43rd minute.

They stayed aggressive, scoring 17 minutes later with a goal from just outside the box. The Tide struggled to get much going on offense as they were not able to get a shot off until 25 minutes into the second half.

The Red Terrors outshot the Tide 4-3 in the second half with three going for goals as they moved on to the 5-0 win.

The Tide fall to 1-1 on the year and will travel with the girls to Jesup to take on the Wayne County Yellow Jackets on Friday, Feb. 11. 

Sign up for our e-newsletters