When the town of Hinesville was laid out in 1837, a plot was reserved for the Methodist Church. This site was adjacent to the courthouse, where Bradwell Park is now. A small frame building was erected on the lot, and it was there that religious life in Hinesville began to grow.
For almost 100 years, First United Methodist Church was the only house of worship in Hinesville, and it was the center of community life.
In 1903, another building was built on the church site and the Methodists worshipped there until 1941. That year, the building and property were sold, and the church moved to its current location at the corner of Main Street and Memorial Drive.
In December 1980, mindful of the growth of Hinesville and the expansion of Fort Stewart, the congregation planned a new sanctuary and office facility.
On Jan. 23, 1983, the church broke ground on its new building, and the sanctuary and offices were operational in June 1985.
In 1987, the church celebrated its sesquicentennial — 150 years of ministering to the community.
On May 16, 1999, the sanctuary was completely debt-free. It was dedicated and the note was burned.
Today, Pastor Dr. Richard Wright and his congregation are proud of their church’s spot in history.
“For over 175 years, this church has stood as a pillar of spiritual strength for the citizens of Hinesville, Fort Stewart and Liberty County,” Wright said. “We continue reaching out to our communities by making and nurturing disciples of Jesus Christ by the transformation pillars of loving, sharing, teaching and practicing.
“We teach Christian values whereby all people are empowered to achieve spiritual growth by practicing these values in our world,” Wright continued. “Hinesville First United Methodist Church will journey into the future as a pillar of spiritual strength committed to building up God’s kingdom in our city and county.”