By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
ATL draws Olympians
Placeholder Image

ATLANTA — Organizers had good reason to worry that the field for the Atlanta Open would suffer if top players took this week off to prepare for the Olympics.
Instead, Atlanta attracted all four Americans who will play singles in London: Ryan Harrison, John Isner, Andy Roddick and Donald Young.
Roddick and Isner also will play doubles at the London Games.
Isner, the top seed, won last week’s ATP tournament in Newport, R.I.
It’s the best-case scenario for the Atlanta tournament in its first year in a new midtown location.
“For a tournament in the U.S. with this timing, we’re absolutely loaded and tickled to death with that,” tournament director Bob Bryant said Monday.
Young was the first of the four Olympians to lose. \
Steve Johnson, who won two straight NCAA singles championships at Southern California, beat Young 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 on Monday night.
Roddick, the No. 4 seed, said the Olympics haven’t changed his approach this week.
“My mentality is you play the week that is in front of you, regardless of what else is going to happen,” Roddick said. “If I play great in Atlanta that can only help me going into the Olympics. It doesn’t change my mindset going into the Atlanta tournament at all. Like I always try to do, I’ll be there 100 percent.”
Roddick said he briefly considered taking a week off.
“You consider all your options, but at the end of the day I felt it was beneficial for me to come home after Wimbledon and to get into some of the heat in Atlanta and match conditions,” Roddick said. “To have that preparation going in I felt was the best-case scenario for me.”
Roddick and other top seeds had a bye in Monday’s opening of the main draw.
Harrison said he is playing this week instead of resting for the Olympics because “it’s just a lot of fun.”

“I love my job, I love what I’m doing,” Harrison said. “As long as I’m feeling good, there’s no reason for me to take off.

“If my body was hurting or I had any injuries I might have taken some time off. We’ll have a full week in London before the Olympics (tennis). That’s plenty of time.”

Bryant said the new location and attractive field combined to boost tickets sales 30 percent from last year.

“It’s worked to our advantage,” Bryant said. “Now we have some Olympics marketing with some sendoffs. The U.S. Olympic Committee has come in and is sort of making us part of their road to London tour. They’re going to do some road to London interactive things.”

Two-time defending champion Mardy Fish and Brian Baker, who advanced to the round of 16 at Wimbledon, also are in the main draw.

Fish, the No. 2 seed, beat Isner in the last two Atlanta finals.

The doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan are the only members of the U.S. men’s Olympic team who are not competing in Atlanta.

There also are London-bound Olympians from other nations in the Atlanta field.

Kei Nishikori, the No. 3 seed, and Go Soeda will represent Japan in the Olympics.

Other Olympians in the field include: Dmitry Tursunov, Russia; Lukas Lacko, Slovenia; Yen-Hsun Lu, Taiwan; and Gilles Muller, Luxembourg.

Muller defeated Marinko Matosevic of Australia, 7-6 (5), 6-4. Also Monday, No. 5 seed Kevin Anderson of South Africa defeated Italy’s Paolo Lorenzi, 6-4, 6-3.



Sign up for our e-newsletters
Video shows skier tumble 1,600 feet down mountainside
173c18b7893ae503f98f3a25916ae9b1853d30b97e0f7e443cf17f87f35c6bd7
While shooting a ski film in Alaska, pro skier Ian McIntosh took a terrifying tumble down the side of a mountain. - photo by Grant Olsen
ALASKA A new video on YouTube is attracting lots of attention for pro skier Ian McIntosh. In the short clip, McIntosh loses control while skiing along a ridge and plummets more than 1,600 feet down a mountain in the Neacola range of Alaska.

According to a report from NBC News, the accident occurred earlier this year when McIntosh was in Alaska participating in the filming of a ski and snowboard movie called Paradise Waits. The film was produced by action sports media company Teton Gravity Research, and they posted the video to their YouTube channel last Thursday.

Teton Gravity Research gave additional details of the frightening event in a recent blog post. McIntosh was following a route hed prepared for, but lost control after falling into a five-foot trench.

"From there, my slough took over and their was no way to stop, McIntosh is quoted as saying in the article. I pulled my airbag to help prevent against any possible trauma injuries as I tumbled to the bottom.

In the blog post, Teton Gravity Research co-founder Todd Jones describes it as the most terrifying crash I've ever seen.

As he skidded and cartwheeled down the mountain, McIntosh lost one of his skis. When he finally came to a stop, he is heard on the videos audio announcing that hes OK.

A company spokesman Eric Henderson confirmed the outcome to NBC News, saying that McIntosh was able to walk away from the crash.

If youd like to see more footage of McIntosh in action, youre in luck. According to the Teton Gravity Research website, Paradise Waits will premiere in Provo at the Tanner Building Theater Friday. Tickets are $13 at the door and the show starts at 7 p.m.
Latest Obituaries