Liberty County’s annual summer lunch program returns Monday to provide free noon meals to kids across the county.
Twenty-three sites will provide packed lunches from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. daily through Aug. 1. The program is a supplement to the free and reduced school meal program, which helps feed children of low-income families when school is open.
“We’re trying to address the same kids that access those lunches,” Liberty County Family Connection Director David Floyd said.
The summer program is a state-wide initiative funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered by the Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning, also known as Bright from the Start. DECAL also administers the meal program during school.
“When school is out, too many families across the state worry about how their children will receive nutritious meals on a daily basis,” Falita Flowers, director of DECAL’s nutrition services said. “The SFSP helps fill that gap and contributes to the overall health and well-being of children.”
According to the DECAL website, more than 60 percent of school children in Georgia qualify for free or reduced meals.
The lunches will be provided by the Coastal Georgia Area Community Action Agency, whose bid of $2.95 per lunch was approved by the Liberty County Commission Tuesday.
Most distribution sites are the same as last year. But new sites have been added this year at Holmestown Park and Woodland Lakes Clubhouse in Midway and Live Oak Church and a site on Robin Road in Hinesville.
All sites are open to the public, and no verification of income is required.
• Bay Tree Apts., 217 Bradwell St.
• First Calvary Baptist Church, 124 Rebecca St.
• Hinesville Housing Authority, 401 Norwood St.
• Kenny Drive, 184 Kenny Dr.
• Live Oak Church, 296 Live Oak Church Rd.
• Northgate Apts., 804 Frank Cochran Dr.
• Pineland Square Apts., 1001 Pineland Ave.
• Raintree Apts., 601 Saunders Ave.
• Regency Apts., 100 Regency Ct.
• Robin Rd., 214 Robin Rd.
• Shuman Rec. Center, 800B Tupelo Trail
• Briar Bay Park, 105 Howard Hill Rd.
• First Zion Baptist Church, 8159 E.B. Cooper Hwy.
• Hillary Park, Carter Rd.
• Mt. Zion Baptist Church, 1370 Shaw Rd.
• Johnnie Frasier Park, 2002 Shaw Rd.
• Holmestown Park, 89 Holmestown Loop
• Jesse Stevens Park, 2389 Lewis Frasier Rd.
• Lyman Hall T.P., 72 St. Catherine St.
• MJM Foundation, 487 Limerick Rd.
• Woodland Lakes Clubhouse, 79 Clubhouse Lane
• Jag Lane Playground, 155 Jag Lane
• Rivers of Life, 114 Church St.