By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Coastal Georgia Komen taking grant proposals
Placeholder Image

SAVANNAH — The Coastal Georgia Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure has announced the availability of grant funding for 2013-14 to increase breast-cancer education, screening, treatment and support services in our local community.

Funds will be awarded to nonprofit organizations, governmental agencies and educational institutions in Liberty, Long, Bryan, Bulloch, Camden, Chatham, Effingham, Glynn and McIntosh counties.

Grants are made possible through a number of affiliate fundraisers including the Komen Savannah Race for the Cure. Since its inception, the Coastal Georgia Affiliate has invested more than $1 million in community breast health programs. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the affiliate stay in Coastal Georgia, and the remaining 25 percent helps to fund national breast-cancer research. In early 2012, the Coastal Georgia Affiliate granted $287,000 to local programs that offered a number of services, including free mammograms and diagnostics, navigation programs and supporting women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.

The Coastal Georgia affiliate works with local health-care professionals and community leaders to conduct a comprehensive community-needs assessment in order to ensure proper funding of community-based programs. This community profile, a standard practice of all Komen affiliates, is used to establish a local grant application and review process consistent with the organization’s standards and mission.

In addition to funding research, the Coastal Georgia affiliate funds nonduplicative, community-based breast health education and breast-cancer screening and treatment projects for the medically underserved.

Organizations applying for grant funding are strongly encouraged to attend one of the two grant-writing workshops hosted by Komen Coastal Georgia from 2-6 p.m. Nov. 6 and 15 at the Savannah United Way.

Grant applications must be completed online by 5 p.m. Dec. 14. Announcements of funding will be made in February 2013. Funding disbursements will begin in March 2013. For more information regarding the grant process, go to or call 912-232-25835 or email

Sign up for our e-newsletters