The end of the school year is fast approaching, and we have already begun celebrating our many 2015-16 successes. The following are just a few of them:
• Liberty County School System attained charter system status with the Georgia Department of Education, affording our students access to additional 21st-century technology innovations, personalized learning opportunities and much more.
• We have established a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) focus in all LCSS learning sites.
• LCSS has received state recognition for Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports.
• Our school system — Bradwell Institute in particular — won the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl state competition for the third consecutive year.
• The Liberty County High School varsity boys basketball team became the Georgia AAAA state champions.
As the school year draws to a close, we are looking ahead to two major upcoming events: the county-wide Education Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax election and high school graduations.
The ESPLOST election will take place May 24. LCSS is asking all registered voters to get out to vote with the following facts in mind:
• This is not a new sales tax. It would be a continuation of one previously approved by the Liberty County electorate.
• The 1-percent ESPLOST is a sales tax for schools. Collected funds have been used for building renovations and construction, iPads and other technological advancements such as our 3-D labs, band instruments and digital textbooks.
• See your ESPLOST dollars at work at http://zspace.com/videos/liberty-county.
• For more information on ESPLOST, please visit www.liberty.k12.ga.us/esplost.
Graduation ceremonies are scheduled for the week of May 23. Bradwell Institute’s graduation will take place at 8 p.m. May 27 at Olvey Field. Liberty County High School’s graduation will follow at 7 p.m. the next day at Donell Woods Stadium.
Join us as we confer diplomas and celebrate this milestone in the lives of the seniors of Liberty County School System.
Lee is superintendent of the Liberty County County School System.