By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Jackets beat BI for first win in 3 seasons
Tigers fall 14-10 at homecoming
This year’s BI homecoming king and queen are Oscar Irizarry and Kaisha Porter. - photo by Phgoto by Patty Leon

The last time Savannah High School earned a football win was Oct. 27, 2007. For the past three seasons, the Blue Jackets struggled, fighting for a chance. On Friday night they got that chance at Olvey Field. Savannah High put a damper on the Bradwell Tigers’ homecoming game by beating the home team 14-10.

For most of the first half, the teams exchanged punts and downs, unable to find the rhythm needed to make it inside the end zone. But with less than a minute before intermission, Bradwell’s offense clicked. The Tigers were forced to punt, but drew a roughing the kicker call against the Blue Jackets.

This set up the offense inside the Jackets’ 32-yard line. Tiger quarterback Myrese Cobb launched the pig skin to Leonard Felton for a 27-yard catch and 5-yard touchdown run to give the Tigers a 7-0 lead.

The Blue Jackets had 48 seconds before the half and used every bit of it to mount a drive that would bring them inside the Tigers’ 10, but the home defense was able to plug the hole in the gap and kept the Blue Jackets from scoring.

In the third quarter, the Tigers moved the ball downfield until Cobb coughed up the ball and it was recovered by the Blue Jackets inside the Tigers’ 44.

Three run plays later, the Blue Jackets scored a touchdown. They lined up for the point after attempt and faked the kick to try and score 2, but the Tiger defense caught the ball and broke up the play.

With 6:30 left in regulation, the Tigers mounted another drive. After several carries by running back Kelton Jacobs and a few by Cobb, the home squad was inside the Blue Jackets’ 15-yard line. On the next snap, however, the handoff went sour and the ball was fumbled.

A Blue Jackets defender swooped in and ran the ball all the way across the field for a touchdown. The Savannah team went up 14-7.

On the Tigers’ next offensive drive, Cobb suffered a leg injury and was carted off the field. Freshman quarterback LaBaron Anthony stepped in, completing a pass to Felton and placing the Tigers inside the Jackets’ 16-yard line.

The Jackets hit the Tigers for two back-to-back tackles for losses and the Tigers had to settle for a 3-point field goal from the 30-yard line by David Miller.

The Tigers recovered an onside kick and Anthony completed a pass to Tony Britton. He was brought down on the 3-yard line and the Tigers were poised to get the win.

The Blue Jackets read the next three plays and stuffed the run. The Tigers went for it on fourth down with 3 seconds left on the clock, but were once again, stopped shy of the goal line.

The home team stood was quiet in disbelief while the visitors’ side erupted into cheers as the Jackets celebrated their first win in three seasons.

The Tigers fall to 1-2 in Region 3-AAAAA and 1-5 overall. Next week, they play at Windsor Forest for a Thursday game at 6 p.m.

Sign up for our e-newsletters