By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
BI gets first win at new Olvey
Tigers shut out Groves 42-0 on senior night
BIs Shaun Maschino (20) gets help from a teammate in bringing down Groves quarterback Jessie Robinson in BIs 42-0 win at Olvey Field. - photo by Patty Leon

Bradwell Institute earned its first win Friday at  the new Olvey Field and did so in grand style by shutting out the Groves Rebels, 42-0, during the Tigers’ senior-night game.
It was the Tigers first win at home since the field was re-constructed. BI finished the season 2-8 overall and 2-5 in Region 3-AAAAA.
The Tigers racked up 35 points in the first half on two pass plays, two run plays and a recovery in the end zone. The first score came off a Groves’ fumble the Tigers recovered near midfield. BI had two short runs before DeAndre Day broke open for a 30-yard touchdown run.
BI attempted and recovered an onside kick, but wasn’t able to capitalize on the short field. Miller then pinned the Rebels back at their 2 off a 42-yard punt and a Tiger roll.
The Rebels managed to avoid a safety despite getting hit near the goal line and being flagged twice for false starts. Rebels quarterback Jessie Robinson opened up a little breathing room with a 20-yard pass to Thomas Fields, who was brought down near midfield, but the Rebels kept drawing penalties and were forced to punt.
Starting at their 22, the Tigers set up a three play drive that culminated with a 10-yard pass by LaBaron Anthony to Marquise Parker, who then ran for roughly 40 yards and a touchdown.
At the start of the second quarter, Tiger linebacker Jordan Portley deflected a pass that would have given the Rebels a new set of downs near midfield. A key penalty helped force Groves to punt.
The Tigers got the ball at the Rebels 37. Later, Hubert Anderson took a screen pass and went 22 yards for a touchdown.
Unable to manage any offense and having a player ejected from the game for unsportsmanlike conduct, Groves punted again. The kick traveled 13 yards. With the ball at the 35, Tiger running back Quonte Haggray tucked the pigskin tightly in his hand, put his head down and barreled downfield for a touchdown.
The Rebels drew 20 flags in the first half of play. Two back-to-back flags pushed Groves all the way to its 1. Although Robinson completed a 16-yard pass to Fields, the Rebels were forced to punt.
Just before the kick, the Rebels drew another flag, forcing their punter deep inside his own end zone. The ball was snapped over his head, and the Tigers recovered to go into the locker room up, 35-0.
Both teams played strong defense in the second half, but the Tigers managed to add one more touchdown to win 42-0.
The Rebels finished the year 0-10, 0-7.

Sign up for our e-newsletters