Scholarship applications are available for the annual Henry ‘Hank’ White Memorial Scholarship and must be postmarked no later than April 25:
Grants available include:
• First Calvary Missionary Baptist Church senior, two $1,000 scholarships, applications at the church.
• Bradwell Institute senior, one $1,000 scholarship, applications in the guidance office.
• Liberty County High School senior, one $1,000 scholarship, applications in the guidance office.
• Active-duty military, undergraduate, one $1,000 scholarship, applications at the Liberty County Chamber of Commerce/Welcome Center at 425 W. Oglethorpe Highway and at the Fort Stewart Army Education Center at 100 Knowledge Drive, building 100.
• Community, undergraduate Liberty County resident, one $1,000 scholarship, applications at the Chamber office.
Applications include an essay along with two letters of recommendation. For more information, call Derrick Taylor or Janice Taylor at 876-4513 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Long County Chamber of Commerce’s annual golf tournament will be April 30 at the Cherokee Rose Golf Course in Hinesville.
Trophies will be given to the first-, second- and third-place teams, as well as the team that finishes last. The entry fee is $40 per person.
For more information, call Kerry Hunt at 912-545-2101 or 912-294-2746.
Sessions on basketball fundamentals led by South Georgia Kings founder Jessie Fleming are from 1-3 p.m. every Sunday at the YMCA. The fee is $15 per session. For more information, call 320-9869 or email email@example.com.
New AAU team for girls
The Hinesville Lady Hawks girls’ AAU basketball team is seeking players ages 9-14. The organization is geared to players of all levels, and no child will be turned away.
The team also is seeking volunteer coaches and sponsors for its upcoming season.
The initial cost to join the team is $105, which covers the cost of the uniform and registration into the AAU basketball league. For more information, call coach Harvey Harris at 321-9150 or 570-1176.
St. James summer camp
Registration is under way for the St. James summer day camp, which starts June 1 and will be open from 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday. The camp is closed on all holidays. The fee is $50 per week. The camp is open to children ages 5-14. Activities will include swimming, bowling, basketball, soccer, kickball and weekly field trips. For more information, call 980-4559 or 884-3016.
Cat Walk submissions
Bradwell Institute is building a “Cat Walk of Fame” featuring former BI athletes who played sports at the college level. Tigers coach Jeff Miller and his assistants have a partial list of athletes and are gathering names and photos, but they’d like more.
To be eligible for the Cat Walk of Fame, the former athlete must have graduated from Bradwell Institute, played sports at the college level and graduated from college. To submit names or photos, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for return, to:
Attn: Jeff Miller
100 Pafford St.
Hinesville, GA 31313
For more information, call 368-6123.
Register for YMCA programs
Registration currently is open for the following Liberty County YMCA programs:
• Soccer league: ages 11-14, registration ends May 22.
• T-ball league: ages 3-7, registration ends May 16.
• Soccer camp: ages 5-14, camp will be held June 13-17.
• Football camp: ages 5-14, camp will be held June 20-24.
• Basketball camp: ages 5-14, camp will be June 27-30.
For information, call 368-9622.
Four night games for ATL
ATLANTA — The Atlanta Falcons will play four night games in a 2011 schedule that includes a prime-time visit from Michael Vick.
The schedule, released Tuesday night, shows the Falcons opening at Chicago on Sept. 11.
The Falcons earned the four prime-time slots by finishing 13-3 and winning the NFC South last season.
Atlanta will play two Sunday night games, including a Sept. 18 home opener against Vick and Philadelphia. Green Bay, which beat the Falcons in the playoffs last season, visits the Georgia Dome on Oct. 9 in another Sunday game.
The Falcons play host to Jacksonville in a Thursday prime-time game on Dec. 15.
Their only Monday night game will be played on Dec. 26 at New Orleans.
Send your sports announcements to Patty Leon at email@example.com.