Long County High School had its senior banquet in its new building Thursday, a first for the school.
Parents and friends took part in the celebration, as graduates were recognized and given gift baskets. Senior class President Sanquez Fair welcomed the crowd, followed by Vice President Sarai Castillo blessing the food.
Assistant Principal Michael Taylor introduced speaker Mike Burch, a graduate of Georgia Tech and Harvard Business School, who is a former vice president of Rayonier Paper Mill in Jesup and currently owns two Ford dealerships.
He told graduates, they are being lied to when told it is hard to find a job. He said it has never been easier to find work, that employers have a hard time finding quality, hard-working employees.
He said there are too many governmental programs making it easier for a person to stay home than to work. Burch said that too be successful they need to remember three things; one is to find work and do the “right thing” at it, two is to live with passion and three is to show
respect for parents, elders, the government, the military, the U.S. flag, other people, the earth, and the Creator of all things. Burch was then presented with a gift basket on behalf of the school by class secretary Karena Espey.
Principal Scotty Hattaway and other faculty then recognized honor graduates. This year the valedictorian was Dariaina Carter and salutatorian was James Fox. Honor graduates were Brandon Abbott, Shonkeria Alexander, Randall Behrendt, Kelsey Higgason Gage Kasperian, Selena Perez, Isaura Perez, Phillip Swindell, Anita Walthour, Brandon Watkins, Katrina Young, Fox and Carter. BETA Club graduates were Vanessa Blake, Kadeja Green, Shelby Ignaszewski, Neil Madrid, Kicha May, Nick Stock, Daija Wilson, Abbott, Alexander, Young and Fox.
Individual awards and scholarships were presented, followed by a slide show of the senior class.
Pick up a Wednesday Courier for a full story on Friday’s graduation.
• Altamaha Federal Credit Union: Gage Kasperian
• American Legion Auxiliary: Kelsey Higgason
• A New Beginning Church: Katrina Young, Nick Stock and Kelsey Higgason
• Annie B. Givens: Vanessa Blake
• Compass Worship Center: Kelsey Higgason
• Guardians in Action: Erica Campbell
• Joseph A. Murray-1st Baptist Church of Ludowici: Melana Linville and Phillip Swindell
• KIDZ-Etc.-Linda DeLoach: Karena Espey
• KIDZ-Etc.-Dolores Mallard: Katrina Young
• Kohl’s Cares: Kelsey Higgason
• Ludowici Bank: James Fox
• National BETA Club: James Fox
• Northern Michigan University National Honors: James Fox
• Rayonier Foundation: Nick Stock
• Long County Chamber of Commerce: Morgan McGowan, Kelsey Higgason and Brandon Abbott
• Long County Protective Services Auxiliary: Shelbi Sessoms, Shelby Iganaszewski, Zach Duncan and James Fox
• Omega Psi Phi Fraternity: Katrina Young
• Raymond Fulcher-Long County Alumni Association: Kicha May
• Raymond Holloway-Long County Alumni Association: Nick Stock
• Shawnee McGowan Memorial Rodeo: Tristan Goodro, Ryan Wells and Cheyenne McGowan
• Middle Georgia College Baseball: Tristan Goodro
• Piedmont College Baseball: Phillip Swindell
• Armstrong Atlantic University Soccer: Kelsey Higgason
Special Awards Given
• High School Wendy’s Heisman Award: Kelsey Higgason
• Distinguished Athlete Award: Kicha May and Gage Kasperian
• Scholastic Excellence Award: Randall Behrendt and Vanessa Blake
• Semper Fidelis Award for Musical Excellence: Tyler Holbrook
• Senior Project Excellence for Product and Presentation: Shelbi Sessoms
Pic 1: Honor graduates and BETA Club members pose during Thursday’s Long County High School Senior Night Banquet.
Pic 2: Ann Parker presents Long County Chamber of Commerce scholarships to Morgan McGowan, Kelsey Higgason and Brandon Abbot.
Pic 3: Long County High School valedictorian Dariaina Carter and salutatorian, James Fox are recognized at the banquet.
(Go to www.coastalcourier.com to see more pictures from the LCHS Senior Banquet.)