By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Hinesville fire displaces family of six
fire department standard

A fire on the 900 block of Whipperwill Way In Hinesville has displaced a family of six, according to Hinesville Fire Department Public Information Officer Capt. Robert Kitchings.

Kitchings said Tuesday night shortly after 10 p.m., a fire in the family's laundry room caused fire damage and quickly spread into the kitchen area causing minor fire  and smoke damage. The fire was put out within minutes  by firefighters from the Hinesville Fire Department upon their arrival.

According to Kitchings, the family was in bed at the time the fire broke out and heard the alarms go off. A man, woman and their four children have been displaced and the Red Cross was called to house the family in a local hotel.

Kitchings said firefighters were called to the same residence on Thanksgiving Day for a smoke report.  Firefighters discovered the source to be an extension cord.  While firefighters were on scene they noticed the residence did not have smoke alarms and the firefighters volunteered to install them for the family.  

“It could have been an different outcome had those smoke detectors had not alerted the family,” Kitchings said.

Sign up for our e-newsletters