By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Long commissioners hear from Liberty County on two issues
Placeholder Image
At the June 3 Long County Commissioner’s meeting, Walthourville Mayor Daisy Pray, along with city attorney A.G. Wells, requested support from commissioners for a new well at the corner of County Road 24.
According to the Pray and Wells, Walthourville currently provides water to 352 residents in Long County, and the city needs a new well. They also told commissioners the Department of Natural Resources said Long County would be a good place for a new well. The city already has requested a permit for placement.
 “We want to work together to serve both Long County and Liberty County with this endeavor,” Pray said.
Commissioner Tony Fowler voiced concern regarding the possibility of future Long County water restrictions. With the county growing, Fowler said, it would be hard to justify another city using water from the county if there was a need from within.
Commissioner Mike McGowan said that before the issue is decided on, Long County citizens should be allowed to give input. Commissioners agreed to schedule a public hearing before the vote.
Pray and Wells will attend the hearing to explain details regarding the well’s construction and answer any questions.
Liberty County Consolidated Planning and Zoning CEO Sonny Timmerman also was present at the commissioners’ June meeting to discuss a possible multi-county grant.
According to Timmerman, a grant ranging from $500,000 to $1 million is available through a multi-county impact study, which Liberty County currently is sponsoring. Timmerman would like Liberty, Long, Tattnall and Bryan counties to throw their support behind the study, allowing them all to benefit.
Timmerman informed the commissioners that 90 percent of the grant money is composed of federal funds, with the counties contributing the remaining 10 percent.
 “Because of the continuing growth of Fort Stewart, the grant will help local governments deal with the impact from the growth in their particular areas,” Timmerman said.
Commissioners voted to participate in the study, and Timmerman he will set up a forum.
Long County Code Enforcement Officer John Bradley reported to commissioners that two new businesses moved to Long County. Black Diamond Recycling, out of Jacksonville, Fla., will open a recycling center in approximately 45 days, and Elite Concrete will be operating by July 1.
According to Bradley, the concrete company should bring 9-12 new jobs, and the recycling company will bring 7-30 jobs within a year.
Bradley also reported that 15 homes sold in the county during the month of May, and 54 were sold during 2008. Sixteen building permits were sold in May and 154 still are open.
It was also reported that Timberland subdivision finished paving subdivision and county roads. Horse Creek subdivision was given preliminary approval for a public hearing in July.
Sign up for our e-newsletters