A small fire made for a brief scare for residents at the Woodland Health and Rehabilitation Center in Midway early Thursday morning. No one was injured, nor any of the residents displaced.
According to Midway Volunteer Fire Captain Trey Johnson, the call came in around 6 a.m. Units from Midway and Eastern District were dispatched and units from Lake George and the city of Hinesville were placed on standby.
When firefighters arrived, half of the 100-wing portion of the building was engulfed with smoke. Liberty County Fire Coordinator James Ashdown arrived at the scene and took command of the situation enabling the units to quickly extinguish the flames.
Although it was reported that smoke was coming from one of the bathrooms, the thick smoke made it difficult for firefighters to determine exactly which bathroom it was.
Johnson said no one was injured in the fire, due in part to the rapid response of the staff who moved everyone out of harm’s way quickly.
Approximately four rooms were damaged, but the reported damage was minimal and expected to be repaired within a week. The residents of those rooms were temporarily moved to other rooms within the facility.
The fire is still under investigation but it was reported that the flames were coming from the area around an attic fan. Several months ago a similar fire in the same wing was also believed to be around the attic fan. That investigation continues as well. Fire units were able to secure the scene and leave by 7:20 a.m.