By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Overloaded cord blamed for fire
Seven people displaced from home
The fire at a home in the 100 block of Thornbriar Drive burned through the roof, shooting flames into the air. - photo by Photo by Lewis Levine

An overloaded extension cord caused a fire that destroyed a Hinesville home Friday morning, displacing seven people.
Hinesville Fire Investigator Ernest McDuffie said the fire in the 100 block Thornbriar Drive was sparked by an extension cord that had too many things, pulling too much power in a child's room .
McDuffie said the extension cord was inexpensive, and not designed to be in constant use. He recommended unplugging the cord when not in use, also to buy higher Underwriters Laboratories’ rated cords or voltage suppressors when plugging multiple items into a cord.
HFD Capt. Andy Fowler, the home sustained heavy smoke and fire damage. Three adults and four children were living in the home. The Red Cross is providing assistance.
Fowler said a woman and two small children were home when the fire broke out, but were not injured.

Sign up for our e-newsletters