Our first quarterly Recycle It! Fairs are scheduled for 2020. These fairs are scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in three locations in Liberty County: the Liberty County Health Department, the City Hall in Walthourville and the Liberty County Community Complex in Midway.
Three locations make it is easier than ever to drop off a variety of items for recycling!
In addition to the items that we collect for recycling or safe disposal, we will also hold a Shred It! Day event in conjunction with the Recycle It! Fair in Walthourville. Shredding your old documents and personal information that you no longer need is a safe way to protect yourself from identity theft. Now is the time to sort through your old documents in preparation for this event!
What types of items should you think about shredding? The Federal Trade Commission suggests shredding these types of items: old sales receipts, paid credit card statements, credit offers, ATM receipts, expired warranties, canceled checks that are not tax-related, old pay stubs, bank statements, and paid undisputed medical bills.
After seven years, consider shredding tax-related receipts and canceled checks, W-2’s, and records of tax deductions taken. Your efforts to shred these items can make a significant difference. We recycled over a ton of shredded items alone at the last shred event, so start cleaning out those storage areas and closets this weekend!
Our local partners, Goodwill Industries, Coastal Auto and Recycling, Liberty County Solid Waste, and local law enforcement, as well as the cities of Hinesville, Walthourville and Midway, make it possible to offer these special recycling events in three locations each quarter. The quarterly Recycle It! Fairs are for items that are used around the house and the workplace, but cannot be recycled at local recycling drop off sites.
Our fair sites, which are all open between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. are:
• Liberty County Health Department at 1113 East Oglethorpe Hwy
• The County Community Complex at 9397 East Oglethorpe in Midway
• Walthourville City Hall at 222 Busbee Drive in Walthourville
Here is a list of the items we accept for recycling or disposal:
• e-waste- electronics: including computers, printers, monitors, and any computer accessories; stereo equipment and televisions; cell phones and accessories. All hard drives are wiped clean for your security.
• Household paint as long as the cans are sealed well, are not rusted and are, at least half full. If your cans are not in good condition, add cat litter or sand to the paint, let it completely dry up, and then dispose of the cans in your regular garbage. We can only collect paint that is in acceptable condition to reuse, so please follow the above information.
• CFL’s and fluorescent light bulbs
• used motor oil and antifreeze as well as car batteries. At the Midway and Walthourville sites, we can accept the car batteries, but we can only accept the oil and antifreeze in clean, disposable containers. (Remember always to recycle motor oil and antifreeze as soon as possible. Never pour these items down the drain or into a storm drain or dump them.)
• household batteries
• printer ink and toner cartridges
• telephone books and large sale catalogs (if you are not going to use the telephone books recently delivered around our county, please pick them up and turn them in for recycling before they become litter out next to your mailbox.)
• hardback books, paperbacks, and textbooks
• Prescription Take Back for any old prescription medications and over the counter medications that you need to dispose of them. Never flush these items down the toilet! These types of items have a detrimental effect on our waterways and, consequently, on aquatic life and humans—like us!
• Household goods, clothes and shoes (in clean, decent condition, please).
• And, as I mentioned, documents for Shred It! Fair at the Walthourville Site Only at 222 Busbee Drive. Cars must be on-site by 12:45 p.m. at the latest. All of the paper from the Shred It! Event will be recycled.
Just think of how much more room you will have in your closets, cabinets, and storage areas at home and at work when you collect all of these items for the fairs! We will be looking for you and your STUFF! For more information, please contact us at (912)880-4888 or email@example.com or www.keeplibertybeautiful.org.