It’s time for the girls to shine at the state track meet, which is under way this weekend at Hugh Mills Stadium in Albany.
The competition began Thursday and continues until Saturday afternoon. Several girls from Bradwell Institute and Liberty County High School are looking to medal in their respective events.
Notably, Lady Panther Jana Jones will look to repeat or better her performance in the discus but will compete in Class AAAA. Jones was the Class AAA state champion in the discus in 2010 with a toss of 123 feet, 8 inches. This year, she is ranked No. 42 in the state.
Lady Tiger Quintunya Chapman, who recently signed to run track for the University of Georgia, will try to hold on to the top spot in the state in the long jump. Chapman cleared 19-1 ¼ at the Region 3-AAAAA meet in April. She currently is No. 10 in the state in the 400-meter dash and No. 22 in the state for the 200.
The girls’ meet will be available for demand viewing at GHSA.tv and Comcast On Demand. Select “Get Local ATL,” choose “Atlanta Sports,” then select “High School Sports” to watch highlights.
A full schedule of the events is available online at www.ghsa.net.
Liberty County High School
• Ajiah Lewis will compete in the 400-meter dash and 4x400-meter relay.
• Chelsea Hale, Diamond Gadson, LaShae Richardson and Nakyus Dean will run in the 4x400.
• Jana Jones will compete in the shot put.
• KeAndrea Ladson will compete in the 4x400 and the high jump.
• Quianika Hatchell and Shonteria Williams will run in the 4X400-meter relay.
• Sherina Hornsby will run in the 4x400, 800 and the 1,600.
• Quintunya Chapman will compete in the 4x400, long jump, 200 and 400.