By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Liberty BOE seeks input on calendars
Liberty County School System

A survey has been sent out to all staff members and stakeholders for their input about the 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 school calendars. 

The survey contains 10 questions and asks what priorities should be considered when developing the calendar for the next two years. A committee comprised of Teachers of the Year and an administrator from each school and others met Dec. 10. 

Calendar options will be determined after the survey has ended and will be voted on by the Committee and sent to the Liberty County Board of Education for approval. 

Survey links can be found in the Breaking News of the Liberty County School System website at .

The BOE Dec. 10 meeting started with a performance by the Waldo Pafford chorus led by school music teacher Errol Roach. 

Parents and supporters recorded the performance as children sung about hope and believing in your dreams alongside Roach’s piano playing. 

Afterwards, the meeting officially commenced, starting with Board members recognizing students from Bradwell Institute and Liberty County High School for their achievements in the College Board Advanced Placement Program. 

The students honored scored a 5, the highest possible, on one or more of their Advanced Placement exams that were taken during the 2018/2019 school year. 

Out-of-state travel was approved for YLiT College Visit University of S.C. for the Snelson Golden Middle School Young Leaders in Training in Bluffton, S.C. So was the Board meeting schedule for 2020. 

Landscaping service bids were approved by the BOE. Neighborhood Lawn Car and C. A. Sittle, Inc. were approved for Zone 1 and Zone 2 respectively, with A Southern Boys being one of the alternatives and will lay 2,825 pine straw bales in the spring. These businesses will be responsible for mowing all areas, edging, mulching, tree pruning, trimming shrubbery and removing flower bed weeds. They’ll be in charge of 150 acres and visit each Liberty County school property 30 times over the year. The estimated amounts for these services, which will come from general funds, will be $221,191.

The current three year plan for the Liberty County School System’s internet access and wide area network will expire June 3. A request for proposal (RFP) will be released. LCSS is eligible—thanks to the system’s free and reduced rate—to have e-rate take care of 80 percent of the funds, LCSS having to take care of the other 20 percent. 

Sign up for our e-newsletters