Howdy, friends and neighbors all around the coastal area. Hope everyone is staying cool and hydrated.
It is very necessary to drink lots of water in this heat wave that’s happening right now. Looks like we may be in for a long, hot summer.
Not much on the fishing front as of late. I do know the whiting are plentiful, and I even have gotten a few reports of trout being caught on the bottom.
My suggestion to you who love to fish like I do is to start at daybreak and wrap it up by 10 or 11 and get back to the hill and cool off.
So here is a little recipe from world recipes. Expo. To cool off in the hot summer heat.
The Mexican shrimp cocktail
This is what you will need:
3 dozen med./large shrimp
1 tomato, small, diced
1 white onion, diced
1 cucumber, small, diced
¼ cup cilantro, diced
1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
1 medium avocado, diced
1 small Valencia orange
2 celery stalks
2 fresh sprigs thyme
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
¼ cup ketchup
3 dashes Tabasco
1) Place two glass serving bowls in the freezer. Mason jars will work, or you can save them for cold beer.
2) Peel and devein shrimp. Reserve the skins and leave 4-6 unpeeled, tail on shrimp, for garnish.
3) Place shrimp skins, along with the celery stalks, onion wedge, thyme, a pinch of sea salt and some cracked black pepper. Add
3 cups water and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
4) Prepare all your vegetables. Dice and chop the tomato, cucumber, onion and serrano and add a jalapeño pepper to the mix along with limes, avocado and cilantro. Set aside.
5) Check on broth. With a slotted spoon, remove the skins and all the vegetables from the broth. Add peeled shrimp to hot broth and simmer 2-3 minutes. Watch them. You do not want to overcook the shrimp. They will turn out chewy.
6) Pull the shrimp out a little before you think they are ready. They will continue to cook. Place shrimp on a plate with ice underneath.
7) Place broth in a bowl and set that on top of a bigger bowl of ice. Chill the broth.
8) Start seasoning the broth. Squeeze the juice of 3 limes, the juice of 1 small Valencia orange, add ketchup (use some gourmet spicy ketchup, add a couple of dashes of hot sauce and sea salt and whisk).
9) Pull frozen bowls from freezer. Start arranging your cocktail. It’s all up to you. You can add as much or as little of the veggies as you want. Add the broth at the end. The avocado is a must.
I suggest you go to the cooler and get a couple of Tecate beers and a slice of lime and some salt, and you are ready to chill. Hope you try it and like it.
Remember what Old Tight-line always said. Get out there and go fishing and if you do, remember to keep a tight line.
Well, that’s it from the coast.