An early Thursday morning fire in Hinesville has displaced six people.
The fire in the 300 block of West Gen. Stewart Way began shortly after 2 a.m.
Three units burned and one sustained smoke damage. Two of the units were destroyed.
A woman holding her pet cat said she had candles lit in her home, and one of the candles set the residence on fire. The woman, who declined to be identified, said she was sitting in her car with her boyfriend watching a movie on her phone.
Hinesville Fire Department Investigator Capt. Robert Kitchings said there was no power to the home where candles were being used.
Jonathan Morrisey, who lived in one of the units with his girlfriend, Latoya Troutman, said he was awakened by the couple’s pet dog, who was locked in a cage.
"I woke up because I heard my dog barking, and then I heard someone knocking on the door,” Morrisey said. “When I got up, the house was filled with smoke."
The couple safely ran outside with the dog and saw the home was on fire.
Pearlene Chambers, who lived in a unit that sustained heavy damage, said she was awakened by a knock on the door. Chambers was only able to grab her cellphone and car keys when she exited the home.
"This is all I have left," she said, pointing to the clothes she was wearing.
A portion of her roof collapsed, and fire damage could be seen in the home.
Donations to help the displaced residents can be sent to Bethel AME Church, 233 Gause St., Hinesville, GA 31313. The Red Cross is assisting the families.