A Hinesville family of five was displaced Monday night when a fire heavily damaged their Whisper Lane home.
Hinesville Fire Department, Capt. Robert Kitchings said the fire started in a shed in the backyard of the single-story residence in the 500 block shortly before 8 p.m.
Kitchings said one of the homeowners was fishing in a nearby pond when she spotted flames coming from her shed. The woman was able to enter her home to call 911.
The report is unclear who first spotted the flames, but Kitchings identified the residents as Curtis and Sharon Handsome, their daughter, Thomassina Handsome, and her teenage children.
He said Sharon Handsome tried to keep the flames from spreading with a garden hose, before 911 was called. They all were able to get Curtis Handsome, who has limited mobility and who was in bed, out safely.
No injuries were reported.
Kitchings said when firefighters from Hinesville’s Station One arrived, flames had gotten into the eaves and attic of the home. Flames rose several feet from the roof as firefighters began to fight it. The fire was brought under control quickly, Kitchings said.
The home’s attic sustained heavy damage and the living area sustained water damage. Parts of the ceiling also fell in.
The Red Cross was called to assist the woman and another occupant of the home.
Kitchings said it was unlikely a cause will be determined because of how heavy the damage was to the shed.