By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire displaces family of five
Placeholder Image

A Midway fire that broke out Wednesday morning left a family of five without a home.
Midway Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department Chief Terrell Chipp said the blaze began in a bedroom and severely damaged the home in the 200 block of Walthour Road.
Cornelia Crate, who lived in the home with her brother and three children, was taking care of two small children when the fire began. One child, who had been playing in a bedroom, ran to Crate, who was in the kitchen, and told her there was a fire in the room.  
When Crate went to investigate, she was confronted by flames and smoke. The other child was in the burning room, and Crate was able to pull him out. She and the children were able to exit the residence without injury.
Chipp said when firefighters arrived, the bedroom and adjacent room were engulfed in flames, and it took roughly 45 minutes to bring the fire under control. The home sustained heavy fire and smoke damage. The incident is under investigation.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Sign up for our e-newsletters