ATLANTA — As summer storms routinely bring heavy rains and high winds to Georgia, Georgia Power monitors the changing weather around the clock and says it is prepared to respond to any service interruptions.
Georgia Power provides the following safety reminders for customers prior to severe weather:
• Never touch any downed wire or low hanging wire, including telephone or TV wires that touch a power line. Never pull tree limbs off of power lines yourself.
• Never go into areas with debris or downed trees. Downed power lines may be buried in wreckage. Never try to make your own electrical repairs to Georgia Power equipment.
• Before a storm, turn off air conditioners (power surges can overload them), avoid landline telephones and unplug unnecessary electrical appliances as telephone lines and metal pipes conduct electricity.
• When driving following a storm, watch for Georgia Power crews working along roads, and obey all traffic signs and directions around work areas.
Free resources from Georgia Power to be prepared for severe weather include:
• Outage and Storm Center — Visit and bookmark www.georgiapower.com/storm to sign up for outage alerts, report and check the status of outages and find helpful information for before, during and after severe weather.
• Outage alerts — Subscribe to the Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
• Outage map — Housed within the Outage and Storm Center, Georgia Power’s interactive outage map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.
• Georgia Power mobile app — Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go. Use the app anytime to access account information and mobile bill payment options, as well as energy efficiency tools.
• GeorgiaPower on Twitter — Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
In addition to online resources, customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.