By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Investigation into child's death continues
Placeholder Image

The investigation continues into shooting death of a Hinesville child on Thursday.
Hinesville Police Department Detective Doug Snider said Friday the investigation is ongoing, but added that the incident, which claimed the life of a 2-year-old boy, appears to be accidental.  
Snider said the family had the gun in a bedroom.  
“From what we were told, the door, which is normally locked, did not catch when it was exited,”  Snider said.  
As for charges against the parents, Snider said, “There has not been any talk or consideration on charges at this point.”
Meanwhile, more details about the incident have emerged.
According to a report, HPD Corporal Robert Smith, who was the first officer on the scene, was dispatched around 4:30 p.m. to the home in the 1400 block of Blackhawk Hollow in the Eagles Landing subdivision. Smith said the mother, who was outside the residence with another child, told Smith her husband was inside with their other son.  As Smith entered the residence, he heard a man crying and yelling from a bedroom.  Smith entered the bedroom and found the father in the bedroom with the child and yelling for medical assistance. Smith asked the father where the weapon was; the father pointed to a .45-caliber weapon on the floor.  
Smith began administering first aid and CPR to the youngster while trying to calm the father.  Medical personnel arrived and tried to save the youngster, working for  nearly 20 minutes in the ambulance. The child later was pronounced dead at Liberty Regional Medical Center.
Neighbors watched in shock as the events unfolded outside the house, which sits on a cull de sac.
Angela Campbell, who lives a few doors down from where the incident took place, watched along with other neighbors as the street filled with emergency vehicles.  
“It’s horrible when something like this happens and kids in the neighborhood are introduced to such a tragedy,” she said.
Campbell described the neighborhood as tight-knit.  She said the father, who is assigned to Fort Stewart, seemed to be a loving father.
“The children would run to greet him and if they wanted to play in front of the house. He would tell them, ‘No, in the back yard.’”

Sign up for our e-newsletters