By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Lightning sparks home fire
Placeholder Image
A Hinesville woman's home was damaged by a fire that was apparently started by a bolt of lightning Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to the call of a structure fire in the 100 block of Clay Street shortly before 3 p.m.
According to Hinesville Fire Department Lt. Gene Long, when firefighters arrived they found the home of Carolyn Williams on fire with flames shooting out of a front room bedroom.
"There was heavy flames and smoke coming from the residence when we arrived," Long said.
It took several minutes to bring the fire under control, Long said. He said Williams told investigators she was sitting in her living room when a lighting bolt from a thunderstorm apparently hit the house, sending sent electricity racing along the walls.
"She said there was arcing and sparks running across the livingroom," Long said.
Williams escaped from the residence without injury. The damage to the home was estimated to be between $25,000-$30,000. The front bedroom was heavily damaged and heat and smoke damage was visible throughout the home.
The Red Cross was called in to provide assistance to Williams.
Sign up for our e-newsletters