A disabled Long County woman and her son lost everything Wednesday in a house fire on Macedonia Church Road.
According to Ludowici/Long County Fire Chief Richard Truman, his department responded to a reported structure fire at around 10 a.m. When crews arrived, flames were shooting up from three sides of the home. Due to limited manpower, the department initially began a defensive attack, fighting the fire from outside, Truman said. When additional resources arrived, he sent two attack teams into the home — one to the left side of the structure and the other to the right. Truman said that the fire was under control in about 20 minutes, but everything inside the home was destroyed.
Homeowner Michelle Elder said her son, Jonathon, had put some clothes in their dryer and turned it on. He then left. A few minutes later, Elder, who is disabled and uses a wheelchair, said she smelled what likely was burning electrical wires. She went to the laundry room and found the dryer on fire and flames shooting up the wall and covering the ceiling.
Elder wheeled herself to the door and began screaming for help her. Her nephew, Jamal Posey, who lives next door, heard her cries and ran to help. Elder said he was able to get her out of the burning house and to his home.
“We lost everything. The wheelchair I’m using now is from the church. I did pack Jonathon’s bag for camp, and I ordered his school clothes, but other than that and a dress I have, everything is gone,” Elder said.
She and her son will stay with either her mother or sister until they can make plans for future accommodations.
Truman said that although the fire was bad, no one was hurt. First responders and firefighters from the Long State Prison fire unit, the Long County Sheriff’s Office and the Long County EMS unit also assisted at the scene.