A Hinesville family was displaced Monday night when a fire heavily damaged their Whisper Lane home.
According to Hinesville Fire Department, Capt. Robert Kitchings, the fire apparently started in a shed in the backyard of the single-story residence in the 500 block shortly before 8 p.m.
Kitchings said the homeowner was fishing in a nearby pond when she spotted flames coming from her shed. The woman, who has not been identified, was able to enter her home to call 911.
Kitchings said when firefighters from Hinesville's Station One arrived, flames had gotten into the eaves and attic of the home. Flames rose several feet from the roof as firefighters began to fight it. The fire was brought under control quickly, Kitchings said.
The home’s attic sustained heavy damage and the living area sustained water damage. Parts of the ceiling also fell in.
The Red Cross was called to assist the woman and another occupant of the home.