By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Soldiers help save motorcyclist after crash
Troops just back from Iraq administer first aid
Roger Dale Hughes' motorcycle and boot lay in the parking lot of the Burger King on Highway 196 after being involved in crash at about 9 p.m. Wednesday. - photo by Photo by Lewis Levine
Soldiers helped save a man's life after a traffic accident in Hinesville Wednesday night.
"Because of them Mr. Hughes has a better chance of surviving," Liberty Regional emergency medical technician Bob Heffley said about the soldiers' actions to help Roger Dale Hughes, 62, of Ludowici.
Lt. Max McClendon, head of the Hinesville Police Department's traffic accident investigation unit, said a 3rd Infantry Division soldier, Staff Sgt. Franklin Wade, who is believed to be a combat medic provided the most assistance. He was assisted, however, by five members of a Florida National Guard Unit in town for training on Fort Stewart.
Hughes was injured while riding his 2005 Harley Davidson motorcycle west on Highway 196 West just after 9 p.m. At the same time Marcus Lester Dudley, 33, of Hinesville was driving his 1980 Ford F150 pickup east on the highway.
McLendon said Dudley apparently was trying to make a left turn when his pickup and Hughes' motorcycle collided, knocking Hughes and his bike into the parking lot of a Burger King restaurant.
McLendon said Wade was driving by when he saw the crash, stopped, grabbed his first aid kit. The sergeant used Hughes' belt as a tourniquet on his leg because of how much it was bleeding.
The guardsmen, Spc. Richard Hunter, Pfc. Jeremy Bryant, Sgt. Steven Robins, Sgt. Joseph Daniels, Sgt. Clarence Monn, were walking when they witnessed the crash and helped Wade. They are all reportedly from Battalion A 316th Field Artillery out of Arcadia, Fla.
They helped control the scene, held the victim and talked to and reassured him, Heffley said.
"Their quick action minimized possible loss of life and limb," the EMT said.
Hughes was flown to Memorial Health University Medical Center by LifeStar and was listed in serious condition at the Savannah hospital later in the night.
McLendon said the accident is still being investigated by Officers Jassen Garrette and Les Patton.
Sign up for our e-newsletters