September is National Attendance Awareness Month and Liberty County Schools are highlighting the importance of being in school each and every day.
It is the practice in Liberty County Schools to focus on attendance throughout the year though since being in school every day is important to students staying on pace and learning the standards, according to school officials.
Attendance is also a readiness indicator for the College and Career Ready Performance Index (CCRPI) which is the school improvement, accountability, and communication platform utilized by the Georgia Department of Education to promote college and career readiness for all Georgia public school students. Attendance counts for 20 percent of a school’s CCRPI score for elementary and middle schools and 15 percent for high schools.
As a result of this, as well as a growing body of research that reveals the critical role that attendance plays in student achievement, Liberty County Schools have made a concerted effort to increase attendance rates. Fortunately, research has also shown that when school administrators, teachers, parents, students and communities work together to monitor the underlying issues and implement solutions, chronic absenteeism can be combated. Liberty County Schools have many procedures in place to monitor both student and staff attendance as well as to encourage students and staff to be in school every day.
• Making daily phone calls to parents letting them know their students were missed in school
• Promoting good attendance for both staff and students daily through morning news shows, positive attendance posters throughout the school, and classroom perfect attendance awards
• Allowing dress down days for students and staff who have perfect attendance
• Providing quarterly recognition for students and staff who maintain perfect attendance with special drawings to receive great prizes
• Competing with partner schools to have the best attendance
The Liberty County community has joined the cause in promoting good attendance by providing wonderful attendance incentives.
• Target- Money to purchase bikes and helmets
• Georgia Power-Money to purchase attendance incentives
• Chick-fil-A Hinesville & Liberty County Chamber of Commerce- Multiple $100 gift cards