It is your last chance to recycle all those electronics and household items that are taking up space you need for the holidays.
Check your closets and storage rooms and your office storage for household items and for old electronics to recycle. You may need the space for decorations and presents.
So, we are here to help on Nov. 14. The quarterly Recycle It! Fair is scheduled for that Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at three locations to make it easy to recycle or properly dispose of a variety of items.
Local recycling drop-off centers around the county are available for regular items, including newspapers (even the inserts), paper, magazines, lightboard (like food boxes), many types of plastics, glass bottles, tin cans, aluminum cans, and cardboard. The Recycle It! Fairs are for other household and workplace items.
Our partners, Goodwill Industries, Coastal Auto and Recycling, Liberty County Solid Waste and local law enforcement, as well as the cities of Walthourville and Midway, make it possible to offer these recycling events.
The sites are:
• Liberty County Health Department, 1113 E. Oglethorpe Highway, Flemington;
• Midway Police Department, 10490 E. Oglethorpe Highway, Midway; and
• Walthourville City Hall, 222 Busbee Drive, Walthourville.
Here is a reminder of the items we can accept:
• Electronics, including computers, printers, monitors and accessories; stereo equipment and televisions; cell phones and accessories. Hard drives will be wiped clean by Goodwill Industries.
• Paint as long as the cans are sealed, not rusted and at least half full. If your cans are not in good condition, add cat litter or sand, let the paint dry and then dispose of the cans in your garbage. We collect paint that is acceptable at the Habitat ReStore.
• CFLs and fluorescent bulbs.
• Used motor oil and antifreeze as well as car batteries. At Midway and Walthourville, we accept batteries, but accept the oil and antifreeze in clean, disposable containers only.
• Household batteries
• Ink and toner cartridges
• Telephone books and large sale catalogs
• Hardback and paperback books
• Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications. Never flush these items down the toilet. We cannot accept hypodermic needles.
• Household goods and clothes, in clean, decent condition
• And shoes, gently used.
So, last call for holidays space. Think how much more room you will have in your closets, cabinets, and storage areas at home and at work when you collect all of these items for the fair.
We will have some giveaways for those who drop by to commemorate America Recycles Day.
For more information, contact Keep Liberty Beautiful at 880-4888 or firstname.lastname@example.org or www.keep libertybeautiful.org.
Swida is director of Keep Liberty Beautiful.