The Christmas season officially has begun. (I don’t count retailers’ efforts to sell Christmas decorations starting in July.) It is December now, so we really are getting close to the big day. Before you get too busy, I hope you will take a few minutes to give a special gift to a local business by nominating one of them for a quarterly Win-dex Award. The Win-dex Awards are Keep Liberty Beautiful’s way of recognizing attractive, litter-free local businesses. Nominating a business can be your way of thanking the operation for its efforts.
The Liberty County Chamber of Commerce and KLB sponsor the recognition program to honor businesses in Liberty County who make an extra effort. Help us give these retailers, eateries and offices the recognition they deserve. We select two winners each quarter — a large business and a small business. Every business can keep its exterior or storefront neat and the landscape attractive — no matter how big or small a company is or how much money it has to work with. A variety of businesses have been recognized the past couple of years — offices, retail stores, auto services, car dealerships, schools, churches and hotels. Any business is eligible.
To make a nomination, consider the following criteria:
• Is the exterior clean and litter-free? (Of course that would be part of the criteria.)
• Is the landscape well-maintained?
• Is the building exterior attractive and not in need of repair?
• Is the frontage property mowed and litter-free?
• Are the sidewalk and parking areas clean and maintained? Are these areas free of cigarette butts?
• Are there attractive plantings decorating the exterior?
• Has the business recently upgraded or renovated? This could be a simple paint job to spruce things up, a full-scale renovation or a move to a new building.
• Is the entryway inviting?
• Do the efforts of this business help to improve an area in our community that would benefit from enhancement?
• What else makes this business stand out?
An additional point to consider:
• Is the business/business owner a good citizen who works to maintain the roadway or front of their property by helping to keep it attractive and litter-free? Does the business participate in local community cleanup opportunities?
Some of our winners actually make an extra effort to clean up and landscape the right-of-way and the roadway near the business so there is a seamless look around the building. When the judging is close, we consider whether the business is active in community cleanup efforts or beautification projects or if they are Adopt Liberty participants.
It is all about attention to detail. Look for some worthy businesses and nominate them this month. And, yes, if the Christmas decorations are special, we will consider that, too, this month. Nominations will be accepted through Dec. 31. The process is easy. Forms are available at Keep Liberty Beautiful or at the Liberty County Chamber of Commerce office on Oglethorpe Highway. Call the chamber at 368-4445 or KLB at 880-4888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a form. Forms can be mailed to P.O. Box 829, Hinesville, GA 31310. Remember that your reason for nominating a business is a crucial part of the judging, so be sure to fully explain why the business you’ve chosen is deserving of this recognition. Give a special Christmas gift this month to a local business with a Win-dex nomination!
Upcoming KLB activities:
• The chipper is coming! From Dec. 26-Jan 7, plan to recycle your Christmas tree. For more information, call Keep Liberty Beautiful at 880-4888 or email email@example.com.