Editor, The city of Hinesville is joining cities across Georgia to celebrate Georgia Cities Week on April 22-28. This week is set aside by the Georgia Municipal Association to recognize the many services, programs and events city governments provide and their contribution to a better quality of life in Georgia. This year’s theme, “The Magic of Cities,” highlights the ways cities continue to transform to meet the needs of residents.
This year, we are celebrating the outstanding working relationships of our community partners through a collaboration of events that everyone can enjoy. We hope that you will join us in recognizing organizations such as Keep Liberty Beautiful, Hinesville Area Arts Council, Liberty County Chamber of Commerce, United Way of the Coastal Empire, Kiwanis Club of Liberty County, Liberty County Board of Education, Hinesville Downtown Development Authority, city of Hinesville employees and other community partners for helping us demonstrate the magic of cities.
During the week, we will celebrate, educate residents and attempt to build rapport with city businesses. I am including information about several opportunities for our residents to come celebrate with us:
• April 19, 3 p.m.: Georgia Cities Week Preview at Hinesville City Hall
• April 23, 3-7 p.m.: Earth Day celebration at the YMCA soccer fields
• April 24, 5:30-7 p.m.: Cupcake Wars at the Hinesville Area Arts Council gallery
• April 26, noon-1 p.m.: “State of the City” address at the chamber of commerce’s Progress Through People luncheon at Bethesda Church. Call 368-4445 to RSVP.
• April 26, 4:30-6:30 p.m.: Student Art Exhibit Reception at Hinesville City Hall
• April 27, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Read Across Liberty Day
• April 28, 8-11 a.m.: Citywide cleanup at Main Street Park. Call 880-4888 to register. Lunch will be served
• April 28, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.: Small World Festival at Bradwell Park
We hope everyone will join us in this celebration and learn more about our city. As always, we welcome all residents to visit city hall, contact council members, attend council meetings on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 3 p.m. or go online to www.cityofhinesville.org for more information.
This is our city and we want all to experience the magic of Hinesville!
— Mayor James Thomas Jr.