With kids heading back to school, Jenny Powers’ mac and cheese with veggies is a super-easy weeknight meal.
Kids never turn down a bowl of mac and cheese, and with a recipe this tasty you can bet they’ll come back for seconds. Plus, it’s a great way to sneak in some veggies.
See step-by-step photos of Jenny’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks nationwide at www.justapinch.com/veggiemac. You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win. Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch.”
What You Need
16-ounce box of elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 small can of green chilis, drained
1 stick butter
6 tbsps all-purpose flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup sour cream
4 cups shredded cheddar (use a combo of different cheese if you like)
1½ tsps dry mustard
½ tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
• Combine all ingredients and put into a greased casserole dish.
• Cut the butter into small pieces and stir with warm macaroni to melt.
• Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
• You might have to cover with foil if it starts to get too brown.
• This dish makes its own sauce while baking.
©2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club. Brought to you by American Hometown Media. Used by Permission.