By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Midway trailer fire displaces woman, 3 kids
Midway trailer fire
Midway Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department firefighters work to extinguish a blaze Monday night on Slade Road. - photo by Lewis Levine

A mobile-home fire Monday night in Midway displaced a woman and three children.

Midway Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department Deputy Chief Joe Feinhals said the fire began shortly after 9 p.m. in the kitchen at 66 Slade Road.

The resident, Tara Spencer, called 911 and safely exited the residence with a 14-year-old family member and her two grandchildren.

When firefighters from Riceboro and Lake George arrived, the blaze still was contained to the kitchen. It took roughly 10-15 minutes to extinguish and never crept past the kitchen, although the living room and other areas of the home were damaged by smoke. Feinhals said the kitchen sustained extensive damage.

The Red Cross is assisting the family, who is in need of a home.

Feinhals said it likely was an electrical fire. The mobile home is estimated to be more than 30 years old.  

Sign up for our e-newsletters