By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
How it became Liberty County
History of Liberty
Rorro map
This map shows the original Liberty County outlined in red.
The Creeks relinquished to the English the land that formed Liberty County in the Treaty of Savannah on May 21, 1733.
By an act of March 15, 1758, the colonial legislature created seven parishes. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, Whig forces took control of government in Georgia.
On Feb. 5, 1777, they embraced the state’s first constitution, the Constitution of 1777. Article IV of that document changed the existing colonial parishes into seven counties, with Indian surrendered lands forming an eighth county.
Liberty County, which was sixth on the list and accordingly considered Georgia’s sixth county, consisted of all of Saint John, Saint Andrew and Saint James parishes.
The county was named to recognize the American colonies’ declaration of independence from British rule.  
Because St. John’s Parish was the first in Georgia to vote for liberty, the new county created from this parish on Feb. 5, 1777, was given the name Liberty.

About Hinesville
In 1784, the legislature designated Sunbury county seat of Liberty County. In 1789, the legislature obtained land from Liberty County to add to Glynn County. Legislators created McIntosh County (1793) and Long County (1920) from Liberty County. Also, between 1794 and 1871, there were a number of acts shifting small amounts of land between Liberty and McIntosh counties.
But Sunbury’s location on the coast was inconvenient for most residents of Liberty County, so the legislature, in 1797, designated a new county seat farther inland that would be named Riceborough (now Riceboro).
In less than 40 years, a movement had been initiated to move the county seat again. In 1836, a referendum was held in Liberty County on the location of the county seat, and a majority of voters supported changing it from Riceboro.
As a result, Liberty County’s state senator, Charlton Hines, introduced legislation at the 1836 session of the General Assembly to institute a new county seat within one mile of a place known as the General Parade Ground (also referred to in the act as “Azoucks’ old field”), which was located about 18 miles to the northwest of Riceboro.
The legislation accepted on Dec. 30, 1836, they also named a five-member commission, with authority, to select a site for construction of a courthouse, jail, and other public buildings, and to lie out and sell town lots.
In 1837, the new county seat was named Hinesville in honor of Senator Hines, who had made it possible.
In 1916, the legislature incorporated Hinesville.
Sign up for our e-newsletters